Thursday, April 12, 2012

Learn Conjure for Free


Learn Conjure for Free

I woke up this morning at 3:33 exactly {I know because I looked at the clock the minute I opened my eyes} thinking about a post Doc made on his blog.
TheHoodoo Truth: Cutting Back On Hoodoo Blog Entries

Two things about that post bothered me when I read it; one was Doc said he wasn’t gonna post anymore or for a while; the second was about charging for teaching. That’s what woke me up out of a dead sleep {charging for teaching}. It bothered me to think that I was charging for something that I had gotten freely. So I started thinking about some of the folks in my life who have influenced me where this work is concerned.

So I started with my cousin’s aunt who taught the both of us to read cards one summer, who influenced my own card reading kit with her teachings all those many years ago. We didn’t pay her in cash for teaching us she was paid in {free labor} we striped wall paper and helped her repaper and paint every room in her house that summer. No freebie there!

My son’s Godfather who first taught me about cleansings; he had what use to be called a “chuck wagon” he brought hot meals to all the plants and sold them. I helped cook, chop, dice and deliver many of times and helped with all the clean-up at least 3 or 4 times a week. No freebies there!

Honey God bless her soul. Trips to Georgia once a year. That I paid for helping her with the garden, cleaning, painting, buying groceries before I left to come home. No freebies there!

MiMi God bless her soul had a small ceramic shop. I worked my ass off pouring molds and cleaning greenware and such. There was defiantly no freebies there.

Ms. Gracie all it has cost me is some groceries once in a while and a phone call once a week.

Mr. Robert my company and hot chicken from the chicken place.

The list can go on but the point I had to make to MYSELF was “I didn’t pay with cash but hard labor = cash as far as I am concerned”. It’s not like it was back in the 60’s, 70’s, 80,s when you could trust folks; times have really changed and that is sad. I thank you Doc for writing that blog; it made me think of the good times I had with MiMi who would work your behind off, but I loved her dearly and Honey who was tough but just as sweet. Momma Starr




3 comments:

  1. LOL...I cut crass, took out trash, drove people around, and ran errands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Momma Starr,

    Sorry, forgot to clarify that I'm cutting back. I will still post blogs on hoodoo from time to time, just that that blog really isn't dedicated to hoodoo and I've already done like almost 600 blog entries on the subject.

    For those reading this comment, Momma Starr is a rare gem online. I would advise people to truly listen to what she says, listen to her radio show, and if possible get her books and take her classes if you are interested in learning real conjure work the way your momma, your grandma, worked. I always say when in doubt to ask yourself, "What Would Momma (or Grandma, Pa, etc.) Do?". That will keep you on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doc I'm glad to hear that you are just taking a break. You really make folks think and that is a really good thing. Momma Starr

      Delete