Monday, February 27, 2012

Coco Robicheaux

I had the honor of meeting CoCo November the 12th 2011 when he came to our Folk Magic Festival in NOLA and played for us. As you can see from the picture we hit it off. He had me laughing so hard I had to clamp my mouth shut to take the photo. Sometimes we meet someone and it seems like we have known them forever. They just touch our hearts, CoCo stole my heart that day. It was as if we were old friends. I was a little shocked when I noticed that he was wearing my ring, well actually it was his ring but I wear the exact same ring. A silver ring with a Native American Chief. When I commented on it he said "I'm not surprised, I have already been by your table and I spoke with your daughter about your BlackHawk book".

He talked to me about his music, his daughter and son-in-law. He gave me some good advice about my books. He told me to continue to publish my own books and not to ever give anyone control over them. I agreed with him, like him I'm old school "I kind of go down my own road". He was so gifted you could feel the spirit around him as he talked to you. He touched all of our hearts that day and we all feel a lose. He treated us like family and promised to come play for us again next year, but I guess the spirits needed a great Conjure man.

As you can see he was a "Hot Mess" and kept us laughing, he just brought happiness to the festival. As long as this old conjure woman lives I will honor his memory and remember what a great man he was. Check out those pants; only CoCo could look sharp in them. Left to right, Wulfie, Susan, Orion, CoCo, Momma Starr and Auntie Sindy; the five of us are Conjure Crossroads.


This is how we at Conjure Crossroads will always remember him! CoCo and happiness go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment